Sunday, January 27, 2013

Survey Respondents' Comments--Gun Owners

Comments (as written) from respondents who own guns—

I do not walk around with a loaded pistol just in case someone shows up out of the blue to shoot me. I don't carry shark repellent, either. Shooters and sharks are both deadly, but neither is very likely, so I just don't worry about it. On the other hand, if the school had a security guard with a pistol, I wouldn't really mind. I would be a little concerned about every teacher roaming the halls with a 9mm on their hip. Eventually somebody would get shot by accident, which there is not much danger of right now.
1/15/2013 11:44 PM

I would not carry a gun in the classroom (HS) because I am among students. It would be easy to have the gun taken from me or be overpowered. I would feel a whole lot safer if some of the administration or office workers were carrying a gun. The trouble is not the guns--the trouble is the heart of man. Our laws are not enforcing "with Rigor" the laws and penalties that should be dealt.
1/15/2013 12:22 AM

Guns are not the issue - people with needs are the issue, that said the knowledge that a gun is accessible at a school would make individuals have to plan different techniques.
1/15/2013 9:57 AM   

I am strongly apposed to guns in general and especially in schools. Fixing the problem with the same problem is not the answer. I hope that Washington will get past this tragedy and move in a more progressive approach.
1/15/2013 8:25 AM  

i don't think guns are good in schools period.if you needed guns in schools there is already something wrong with the system. i do think we need to ban assault weapons and large clips for all weapons. the best policy is better education for all citizens on guns and our 2nd amendment rights need to be better understood by society.when we can't controll the safety of our citizens we have a break down in its effectiviness.
1/15/2013 7:27 AM  

In addition to being a certified teacher I am also a state commissioned law enforcement officer. I am highly skilled and trained, not just in use of force, but in dealing with the aftermath of high-stress incidents. I would be very concerned if untrained teachers, without an extensive personal history investigation were armed by districts. However, many districts already have teachers who are cross-trained with military and/or law enforcement backgrounds. It is my belief that there should be an immediate change to state law allowing those who are qualified to carry a concealed pistol while in the workplace. As a LEO, I am allowed to carry everywhere in this state, with the exception of my school. Without security checkpoints, no place can be made a gun-free zone. Either we need to have security checkpoints, or armed employees. Anything less would be to foolishly wait for the unthinkable to happen.
1/14/2013 7:08 PM

no guns period in my school
1/14/2013 9:49 AM

If school staff were allowed to carry guns it should only happen after intensive training if the use of firearms. Also former military or police backgrounds should also be considered...
1/13/2013 5:57 PM

No guns in school without thorough law enforcement weapons training & qualification.
1/13/2013 12:11 AM

Only police should have guns on school grounds. A shoot out with an assailant in the type of recent horrific events with children around is not a good idea and would have a wide range of consequences, many unintentional and unforeseeable. This is essentially a combat-type of activity and requires law enforcement/military training. Besides adults carrying guns could easily be compromised by students targeting them in the natural trustfulness of a healthy school environment. Perfect safety is illusory, response is not. Leave the military-style response to those who are truly trained for it.
1/12/2013 10:26 PM

Until people understand that PEOPLE kill people, not guns, we are doomed to repeat history!
1/12/2013 7:40 PM

I ultimately think that guns should not be in schools, though I have felt rather vulnerable knowing that if something gun related were to occur, the number of casualties/injuries could be very very high. The reality that my only options are run and/or hide in that scenario scare me. I hope our government responds with more funding for counselors and other support for high risk kids (rather than focus on tightening gun control, which I don't think will have much, if any, effect).
1/12/2013 4:48 PM

I feel that if this were allowed that the adults allowed to carry the firearms would need to go through gun safety training often and need specific requirements to have the on weapon and how it would be holstered. I also think that parents should also get input on this.
1/11/2013 6:27 PM  

While I could never harm a student, incidents of persons not associated with schools trespassing on school property during school hours are on the rise. I see teachers carrying concealed weapons as a deterrent to violence by 3rd parties.
1/11/2013 5:25 PM  

Schools are targets for high profile violent acts in that we have absolutely no way to defend ourselves. Any Nutball that decides to go out in flames need only to walk into the nearest public school to kill dozens of people, with no one to stop them, and will make World News.
1/11/2013 10:19 AM

Our school is built in such a way as to nearly impossible to keep a shooter out so having a responsible adult or more with the ability to do more than make a phone call might be reassuring.
1/11/2013 8:12 AM

My husband is a law enforcement officer. He went through two years of training and testing including psychological exams in order to be an armed law enforcement officer. I am a teacher. I have a Master's in Curriculum and Instructional Design. I am not a trained law enforcement officer. Putting guns in the hands of school personel who are not trained law enforcement officers is foolish and dangerous.
1/10/2013 3:31 PM

I have no issue with certain licensed individuals bearing arms in all societal situations, including at schools.
1/10/2013 11:53 AM

I am not "for" arming teachers. However, I do have a concealed carry permit. I think that if some teachers carried guns, concealed only, the school would be safer if the school were to have a catastrophic event (school shooting, shooter, gang members). I think if this legislation were EVER passed it would be more critical than ever that the organization permitting concealed carry permit be even more vigilant in its screening.
1/9/2013 1:55 PM

Incidents in the past are likely to happen anywhere. We have had our share of unstable individuals and will continue to encounter them. Any carry weapon would be insufficient in the case of a long gun in the hands of an intruder. The fact that they may encounter opposition immediately in a school setting may deter a person from carrying out their intentions.
1/9/2013 1:53 PM

Gun Free Zones don't work.
1/8/2013 4:40 PM

MISPLACED - TAKEN - ACCIDENTAL DISCHARGE -
1/8/2013 3:34 PM

I have a concealed weapons permit and go target shooting. I think fear of guns is a problem. If we had a gun safe here it would discourage someone who thought about coming here armed and dangerous
1/8/2013 8:16 AM

I am from Colorado and was teaching in Littleton when Columbine happened, so my answers may be skewed from other participants.
1/7/2013 10:08 PM

I think the current efforts to keep schools safe are all we need to keep us safe if we follow them. It's often when we become complacent is when something happens.
1/7/2013 12:14 AM

The solution to gun violence is certainly not more guns.
1/7/2013 10:47 AM

If a select team of teachers, admin, and security officers were trained in a response team style capacity, and qualified by a police force training program to carry, I think we could better protect our students from a Columbine or Sandy style massacre. The students and public would not be allowed to know which teachers were on the team, only that a team exists. This would protect them from an initial assault by a gunman or attacker. Strict rules and regulations would be in place as to when the response team would be allowed to use there firearm. In order to ensure the teams readiness, safety, and response effectiveness they would be given free range access and ammo each month to keep up on their qualifications. The "Gun Free Zone" is a welcome sign for nut-jobs and criminals.
1/6/2013 3:30 PM

I am a trained weapons exspert with 30 years of exspearnce and I don't think guns belong in a school unless it was the school I went to learn to build them. even at that school no one caried side arms.
1/5/2013 10:02 PM

I sometimes forget to lock the cabinet where I store my purse. Imagine if a school employee forgot to lock up his/her gun. Adding the possible access to guns at school scares me more than someone coming to my school with a gun.
1/5/2013 12:42 AM


No comments: